|Operational Accountant (6 month Term)
||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
August 17, 2012
at 4:30 PM
||Surrey Fire Services
||This is a professional Finance role within the Fire Service, reporting to the Assistant to the Fire Chief. The successful candidate will perform a broad range of evolving financial accountabilities. Supervision over unionized support staff may be required.
||Procurement and Asset Management Responsibilities
- Provides advice to the Fire Service on procurement and asset management;
- Interprets and improves upon related operational guidelines, processes and bylaws; and provides guidance, direction and supervision to staff.
- Maintains purchasing records and documentation for Fire Services goods, equipment and services.
- Solicits tenders and quotations on behalf of Fire Services. Assesses and makes recommendations on those tenders and quotations.
- Provides guidance to operations on capital expenditures based on IFRS and PSAB requirements per City standards.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on budgeted versus actual revenues and expenditures. Provides accounting services, advises, audits, studies, reconciliations and reports.
- Prepares year end and other working papers, and assists with preparation of financial statements in alignment with the City processes.
- Makes ongoing recommendations for operational improvements in all areas of Fire Services operations.
- Assists division and section managers with operations, supervision, training, and presentations on financial systems and on financial processes.
- Ensures that all pay period end processes are carried out effectively, resulting in the production of accurate and timely pay cheques for employees of Fire Services, with the standards and practices established by the City.
- Administers the preparation of Fire Services payrolls and provides direction in the updating of various employee and payroll records.
- Ensures year-end working papers for Fire Services payroll, benefit and liability are completed accurately and on time with the City structure.
- Implements established testing procedures for updates and fixes to the computerized Telestaff payroll system, in coordination with City staff.
- Plans, assigns, supervises and reviews the work of staff engaged in various Fire Services payroll tasks and provides operational direction and solutions to problems.
||The successful candidate must have a degree in Commerce, Economics or Business Administration supplemented by a minimum of 2-3 years of related financial experience. Must be enrolled in a professional accounting program (CA, CGA, CMA) and have successfully completed the third year of the program.
||You must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to initiate and nurture business relationships in the Fire Services and within the City; ability to supervise accounting staff, including developing work plans, providing coaching and developing sills. You must be able to manage a complex workload with multiple initiatives and the pressure of deadlines; ability to analyze, summarize, draw conclusions and make recommendations; professional and enthusiastic attitude coupled with strong business acumen. Experience in the Public Sector is an asset.
||Please apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
||14245 - 56th Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
V3X 3A2, Canada
||July 19, 2012 08:30 AM
||August 17, 2012 04:30 PM