|Surrey Art Gallery Manager
||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
March 31, 2019
at 8:30 AM
||2598 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Parks, Recreation, and Culture
||Internationally recognized for its award-winning exhibition and education programs, and much loved by its local community, Surrey Art Gallery is a “Class A” public art museum. The Gallery's mission is to engage the public in an ongoing dialogue about issues and ideas that affect our numerous communities, as expressed through contemporary art. It has excelled in providing relevant and meaningful opportunities to interact with artists and the artistic process and is well regarded for its ongoing support for digital art practices.
We are seeking an articulate and innovative individual to join the Surrey Art Gallery staff team in a leadership capacity as its new director as the institution embarks on an unprecedented path of growth. The Gallery Manager inspires and collaboratively leads a professional staff team and provides guidance and support to the Surrey Art Gallery Association Board. Candidates will be an experienced leader in arts management, have excellent interpersonal, strategic, analytical and communication skills. They will demonstrate significant experience in producing strategic plans, developing and implementing marketing strategies, recruiting and partnering with various stakeholders as well as a track record of responsible fiscal management and fundraising. As the Gallery’s Manager, you will build and maintain a positive and productive atmosphere for staff and nurture innovation. You will set and promote the direction and overall vision for the Gallery and implement strategies to attain its goals.
||• Guide the institution’s programming and operations to meet or exceed national standards of excellence.
• Coach, mentor and supervise senior staff.
• Conduct strategic planning work and implement their objectives.
• Connect and develop relationships with the public, arts and business communities and all levels of government.
• Prepare and manage budgets.
• Oversee fundraising activities including grants, private sector sponsorships and donations.
• Coordinate and participate in public relations and promotional activities regionally and nationally.
• Participate in City cultural planning initiatives, as a member of the Culture Manager’s leadership team.
• Serve Ex Officio to the Surrey Art Gallery Association Board supporting their strategic planning work and board development, and strengthen their governance and volunteer management models and operations.
||• Completion of a university degree in Arts or Cultural Management, Art History or Museum studies, graduate level is an asset.
||• Have a minimum of five years’ experience in similar positions OR equivalent combination of training and experience leading an arts institution or organization.
• Have a minimum of five years’ supervisory experience of a large staff team.
• Have a deep and broad knowledge of contemporary arts and the regional and national arts community.
• Have the ability to effectively supervise, coach, mentor, and coordinate staff.
• Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with a broad range of staff.
• Have experience in strategic and long range planning, forecasting and financial management, fundraising/grant writing, teambuilding, and working with non-profit boards.
• Have experience in preparing and managing budgets.
• Have exceptional organizational skills.
• Have the ability to prioritize competing demands, work well under pressure and deal with stressful situations in a professional manner.
• Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
• Have the ability to exercise considerable independence of judgement, action, tact and initiative in performing the work.
• Education and training in business, strategic planning and the governance of not for profit organizations
• Experience working in a municipal environment is an asset
||13450 104 Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
V3T 1V8, Canada
||November 7, 2018 08:30 AM
||March 31, 2019 08:30 AM