||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
February 15, 2019
at 4:30 PM
||2719 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Surrey Fire Services
||As the leader of the Surrey Fire Service (SFS) and a member of the City
of Surrey’s senior executive team, the Fire Chief is accountable for
the effective delivery of fire suppression, first response, protection,
education, prevention and safety services for the residents and
visitors of Surrey. He or she works with the SFS leadership team to
conceptualize and implement the strategic vision for the department
and has overall responsibility for the operations of 15 halls across
the city, employing more than 400 professional and administrative
team members. Serving a highly diverse population, the Chief is
responsible for building a team that represents that diversity and
supports an inclusive culture that provides opportunities for all.
||• Serves as a member of the City’s senior executive team
contributing to the development and execution of organizational
strategy and City-wide objectives.
• Provides vision, leadership and guidance to the SFS senior
• Develops and maintains sound, effective organization
structure including development of strategic plans, policies
• Works with senior executive team to ensure the SFS is
integrated with City operations and services to provide support
and expertise on City initiatives.
• Works collaboratively with partners such as RCMP, BC
Emergency Health Services, and Fraser Health to optimize
resource deployment and enhance services to citizens.
• Ensures that the recruitment, selection, training and
development of individuals supports the organization’s
commitment to excellence, diversity and personal leadership.
• Responds to major fires and life-threatening incidents as
required. This may involve directing operations at a major
• Writes reports and makes presentations to City of Surrey
Mayor and Council, as required.
• Develops and maintains an open, collaborative and productive
relationship with the International Association of Fire Fighters
• Performs other related duties.
||The Fire Chief brings proven skills as an outstanding leader and
communicator who can create an environment that encourages
and respects diversity of culture, approach and thought. With a
background delivering fire, rescue and medical response in a large
urban centre, or transferable experience, he or she is recognized
as a strategic and innovative leader who has worked closely with a
broad range of partners to contribute to the enhanced livability and
safety of a community.
• An undergraduate degree in business administration and/or
a program in local government administration or fire service
management. A graduate degree would be an asset.
• Extensive progressively responsible related Fire Department
experience in a large, complex, urban environment.
• A positive, energetic leader of people who inspires personal
commitment and motivation in others by aligning people
toward a single vision and a core set of values.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship-building
skills; known for dealing with culturally diverse communities
and various stakeholders in a thoughtful and respectful
• Has demonstrated success as an innovator who encourages
new ideas and expects continuous improvement in public
• Excellent communication skills, (written and oral).
• Strong analytical skills and demonstrated use of evidence and
data when making decisions.
• Has played a key role in developing, implementing and
evaluating the overall strategic plan.
• Experience in facilitating and leading strategic activities in
collaborative environments with multiple interests.
• Possesses financial acumen, including experience in developing
and presenting operational and capital budgets.
• Alignment with the City of Surrey’s Values – Service, Teamwork,
Community, Integrity, Innovation.
• A Police Information Check is required for this role.
||If this is the next step in your professional career, visit our website
and submit your application to Allison Rzen or Shaun Carpenter at
||PFM Executive Search
Tel 604.689.9970 | Toll-Free 1.800.864.9970
Suite 510–999 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 2W2
||January 17, 2019 08:30 AM
||February 15, 2019 04:30 PM