|Museum Assistant - School Programs - Temporary Full-Time
||Township of Langley
||19-B025 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Arts, Culture and community Initiatives
||Applications are currently being accepted from a dynamic and committed individual to fill a temporary full-time Summer Career Placement for the position of Museum Assistant – School Programs from approximately May 13, 2019 until approximately August 31, 2019 (approx. end dates are subject to change dependent on funding).
1. Duties and Responsibilities
As a student employee with the Arts, Culture, and Community Division of the Township of Langley, the incumbent will work on short-term projects at the Langley Centennial Museum & Exhibition Centre. Summer Education projects will involve enriching school programming for children, families, and school groups, increasing participation at our Museum.
The Museum Assistant – School Programs will be engaged in the following:
• Working with the Educator, review and revise as needed existing school programs to accommodate changes in the BC Curriculum established by the Ministry of Education
• Update the Teaching collection inventory by cataloguing new acquisitions; thereby facilitating their use within existing school programs as well as the development of school and community travelling trunks which are planned for the near future
• Participate with, and supervise youth volunteers at a variety of community outreach events including parades and other special community events
• Assist the Educator in designing a new school program for implementation in the 2019 - 2020 school year
• Other duties as reasonably assigned
2. Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required for this position include:
• University student entering third or fourth year of study, with courses in one or more of the following disciplines: Education, History, Science, Fine Arts, Museum studies, or other related field.
• Computer skills, including experience-using Word is required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel and desktop publishing would be an asset.
• Excellent research and writing skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, preferably with some experience in public relations or customer service.
• Previous experience in a Museum environment would be an asset.
• Experience working or volunteering in a museum, arts or education environment would be an asset.
• Previous experience working with children is considered an asset.
3. Position dependent on funding and the following eligibility criteria:
• Must be a Canadian student, legally entitled to study and work in Canada. You must be registered in the Young Canada Works inventory at www.youngcanadaworks.ca and you must be between the ages of 16 and 30. You must also have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job. You must be willing to commit to a work assignment up to 16 weeks.
These positions are defined by the Township of Langley as positions of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal record check as a condition of employment (Note – Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
Hours of Work: Non-standard Hours and/or Non-standard Work Week
Hourly Wage: $21.66 - $25.31 per hour (5 steps, 2019 rates) plus 13% in lieu of benefits
Placement Date: Approx. May 13, 2019 to approx. August 31, 2019 (approx. start and end dates: subject change/dependent on funding)
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please apply directly through our site at tol.ca/careers.
This competition will not close until the position is filled. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Langley Centennial Museum & Exhibition Centre is a community museum located in
Fort Langley, British Columbia. More information is available at http://museum.tol.ca
9135 King Street, Fort Langley, BC
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||April 2, 2019 08:30 AM
||April 30, 2019 04:30 PM