|Assistant City Solicitor - Litigator
||City of Surrey
||3327 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Reporting to the City Solicitor, the Assistant City Solicitor will be primarily responsible for conducting litigation matters including those related to utilities (e.g. highways, railway crossings, pipelines, etc.), expropriations, personal injury, and bylaw enforcement. The Assistant City Solicitor will also be providing legal advice to staff on a wide range of municipal issues, including utilities, expropriations, risk management, policies, bylaw enforcement, releases, contracts, and other legal matters.
||Reporting to the City Solicitor in the Corporate Services - Legal Division, the Assistant City Solicitor is responsible for the following:
• Acts as counsel for the City in Supreme Court, Small Claims, Civil Resolution Tribunal, Human Rights Tribunal, British Columbia Utilities Commission, and other levels of court or administrative tribunals
• Acts as municipal bylaw prosecutor for bylaw offences in BC Provincial Court and enforces compliance with bylaw offences by way of civil injunction in BC Supreme Court
• Advises on and acts as counsel for the City on expropriations and disputes regarding utilities (e.g. highways, railway crossings, pipelines, etc.)
• Advises various City departments and staff on a wide variety of legal issues, particularly in relation to utilities, expropriations, risk management, policies, bylaw enforcement, releases, contracts, and other legal matters
• Conducts training of bylaw enforcement officers, employees and contractors involved in bylaw enforcement
• Advises on and assists in drafting and preparing of new and amending bylaws
• Advises on legal matters of considerable consequence relating to municipal law and administration
• Exercises independent judgment when working with statutes and legal precedents
• Manages outside legal counsel
• Performs other related duties as required
||The City is looking for an experienced strategic thinker who can build strong working relationships with stakeholders throughout the City and region. Our ideal candidate shares our values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service and Teamwork, and can demonstrate the following qualifications:
• A Juris Doctor Degree (J.D.) or a Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B.) from a recognized university
• Membership in good standing in the Law Society of British Columbia
• Have a minimum of 5 years' experience as a practicing lawyer, preferably in a municipal or government environment with a focus on litigation, including experience with expropriations, utilities, personal injury, bylaw prosecution, and other litigation matters
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently, organize workload, and set priorities
• Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and effectively with the public, staff, and management
• Ability to develop work collaboratively with others to reach a mutually beneficial outcome
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff
• This position requires the completion of a Police Information Check and proof of qualifications from the successful incumbent.
||The City of Surrey has engaged Leaders International Executive Search to assist in this competition. Interested candidates are asked to apply directly with Leaders International by emailing their resume and cover letter to daven@LeadersInternational.com.
All applicants that meet the qualifications will be contacted.
||13450 104 Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
V3T 1V8, Canada
||November 29, 2019 08:30 AM
||January 10, 2020 04:30 PM