|Trades I - Urban Forestry - temporary full-time (from approx. October 19, 2020 to December 24, 2021)
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
September 28, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||20-U089 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 135,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a temporary full-time Trades I – Urban Forestry (from approx. October 19, 2020 to December 24, 2021) to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Parks Operations Department. Reporting to the Trees, Trails, Horticulture and Natural Areas Superintendent, in this unionized position you will be expected to perform a variety of semi-skilled arboricultural tasks on Township properties.
• Perform a variety of semi-skilled arboricultural and horticultural tasks including selecting trees for clearance, sightlines and structure, bucking and limbing of branches, pest control, assisting with maintaining the tree inventory and selection of trees
• Identify diseased trees or trees posing an actual or potential hazard to public safety
• Assign, supervise and check the work of one or more employees assisting in the more routine tasks, and provide training as required
• Assign and oversee the work of contractors to ensure safe work practices and environment according to municipal and WorkSafeBC standards
• Provide routine information to the public regarding arboriculture enquiries and provide follow-up to complaints or requests received
• Perform other related work as required
• Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by courses in Arboriculture and/or Horticulture plus sound related experience, including some supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in arboricultural operations
• Sound knowledge of the names and varieties of a wide variety of trees, their characteristics and requirements and the application of an integrated pest management program
• Ability to carry out oral and written instructions and effectively perform semi-skilled arboricultural duties.
• Certified as an Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
• ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification, ISA Certified Tree Worker and advanced chainsaw operation/ safety training are considered an asset
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• Certification as an Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture
• Pesticide Applicators License – Landscape
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 years option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License or the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $35.37 per hour (2020 rates), plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: September 22, 2020
External closing date for this competition: September 28, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||September 14, 2020 08:30 AM
||September 28, 2020 04:30 PM